Saloons on every corner and plenty in between...

Edgar's picture

For nearly a century, soldiers at Fort Clark protected the border from hostile Indians and Mexican bandits.

Established at Las Moras Springs in 1852 in what is now Kinney County, the fort remained an active military post through World War II. The town of Brackettville grew up around it.

Through the 1870s, troopers stationed at Clark occasionally skirmished with Indians but most of the time they adhered to daily military routine, from reveille to taps. Later, during the Mexican Revolution, the garrison kept a watchful eye on the Rio Grande that flowed only 13 miles below the post. But most of the time, life on the border was more boring than action-packed. Except on pay days.


To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition

Rate this article: 
No votes yet